Search This Blog

Monday, March 14, 2011

Springtime!

I've been nastily anemic and sick for the better part of a week, so I apologize for no updates.... I've barely had enough energy to sit up, let alone blog. (And I've not been doing much of anything, Mom's been handling everything but the quail and that's just because my pretty darlings are so skittish!)

On the upside, I did venture out for a little bit to Rural King with Mom and she found that the best thing for my sick and very droopy self was to procure some chicks! (this was helped by the fact that they were selling out relatively quickly.) So we came home with a peeping box of three buff orpingtons and three barred rocks.

I bring them out before putting them in the brooder and the dude had one word for the baby buff in my hands.

"Egg!"

Yep, he's smart. Of course "Good Egg" is one of his fave videos. He also of late likes watching youtube videos of goats being born and eggs hatching. We're teaching him how to GENTLY pet the baby chicks and the chicks are exposed to him from day one.

Snoozin' Goose Ranch's eggs will hatch here next Sunday or so and we'll be getting a large quantity of those as well. His will be a barnyard mix, so more of a surprise in colors, etc but that is fun as well and his chickens are of healthy stock and good producers! Meanwhile, I just wanted a fair amount of genetic diversity. And we're saying a quick prayer that all the "straight run" chicks from Rural King are female.

(they are cute even if they do leave "presents" on your shirt)

Star is definitely getting ready to pop - I see an udder slowly forming, her mucus plug went out last week and her tail is being held at a very funny angle. Will keep everyone updated!

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Things are busy at your place! So neat that your little one is learning so early about Homesteading!
    Thanks for linking to the Barn Hop!

    ReplyDelete